Friday, April 2, 2010

Standing at the Cross


I pray that the story of the Cross never gets old. You may think that sounds ridiculous but I'm serious. It's far too easy for things to become familiar even when we speak of the foundation of our faith in Christ.

Paul said, "But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world." Galatians 6:14

When was the last time you looked upon the Cross? Have you ever put yourself there by faith and stood in awe of the love of God? How could we boast in anything but the Cross? It was on that dark day at Calvary that the payment for my sin was made. It was there at Golgotha where God demonstrated His love for me. It was there that the Savior of the world poured out His blood so that I could go free!

As we reflect upon the death of Jesus today, I want to share with you some of the old hymnals of the faith. Look upon the words and make them your own. May God cause us to blush at the shame, scorn at the humiliation, weep at the anguish, and rejoice over our salvation.

And as you look upon the Cross I want you to remember: "Sunday's Comin'!"

At the Cross
"Thus might I hide my blushing face
While Calv'ry's cross appears
Dissolve my heart in thankfulness
And melt mine eyes to tears"

At Calvary
"Oh, the love that drew salvation's plan!
Oh, the grace that bro't it down to man!
Oh, the mighty gulf that God did span
At Calvary"

The Old Rugged Cross
"In the old rugged cross
Stained with blood so divine
Such a wonderful beauty I see;
For 'twas on that old cross
Jesus suffered and died
To pardon and sanctify me."

All that Jesus did on the cross bought salvation for you and me. If it were not for His blood being shed we would never be set free. Praise His glorious name!

As I close out today's blog I want to share with you the words of Charles Wesley as he thought about what Jesus' sacrifice meant in his life.

And Can It Be
"Long my imprisoned spirit lay
Fast bound in sin and nature's night;
Thine eye diffused a quick'ning ray
I woke, the dungeon flamed with light;
My chains fell off, my heart was free
I rose, went forth and followed Thee.

Amazing Love!
How can it be
That thou, My God, should die for me!"

No comments: